I was born in 1969, in Ermelo, South Africa. I completed a Bachelor’s in Primary Education, majoring in Art, in 1991 through the University of the Witwatersrand and my self-portrait at the time, was kept by the JCE campus Arts Department.
In my twenties and thirties, I was actively involved in projects addressing access for housing in lower Income sectors, I raised the money to build two schools, and worked for The Mineworkers Development Agency, the development wing of The National Union of Mineworkers, addressing rural development economic needs in South Africa.
I created artwork on an ad hoc, private basis, throughout this period.
In 2006 I started focusing on my Art practice, and facilitated Adult Art workshops at my studio in Johannesburg.
I enrolled for an MFA at The San Francisco Academy of Arts University in 2010, completing the courses Chiaruscuro, Renaissance Art History, and early Philosophy, and I switched to the The University of California, Berkeley Extension, Post Bacc Art programme, and completed three courses of the programme, Colour Theory, Fundamentals in Drawing and Painting.
Moving to London in 2011, I enrolled for short Art courses at Central St Martins, The Heatherley School of Fine Arts, and The Princes Drawing School.
Returning to Johannesburg at the end of 2011, I have been exploring and engaging my practice in Painting & Mixed Media, Installation and Printmaking.
Please refer to my CV below for exhibitions, Art practice development &References
- 1.5 Degrees – International Group Art Exhibition in Berlin – GG3 – Group Global 3000, Gallery for sustainable Art – curated by Team GG3
- EnviroArt Gallery – Group Exhibition – Rubenstein Centre, Dukes University, Durham, North Carolina, USA
- ARTSY Online Auction and live Auction in New York – AMREF HEALTH Contemporary African ArtBall – curated by Atim Annette Oton
- Exhibited in the Catalog Project of the ‘Optimism’ Endless Editions Biennial in New York – 7th -21 Dec 2018 – curated by Lukaza Branfam – Verissimo.
- Exhibited at the Witwatersrand University (WAM), in the “Art of Lithography:A collaborative Expression of LL Editions“, curated by Boitumelo Tlhoaele and Tshegofatso Mabaso (September 2018 – March 2019)
- Exhibited in a solo show in April ‘Nothing stands still‘ at the Johannesburg Holocaust & Genocide Centre
- Exhibited at the BagFactoryArt SALON show – Open Call curated selection
- Exhibited with LLeditions at The Fine Art Print Fair hosted at Gibbs, Johannesburg
- Paddle 8 online auction and Live Auction in New York – AMREF HEALTH
- ·ABSA Gallery – Johannesburg – Artistproofstudio’s Proshop show
- London based Jacksons Open Art Prize – longlist selected
- Turbine Art Fair – Johannesburg – LL Editions & Artistproof Studio’s shows
- FNB Joburg Art Fair – Johannesburg – Artistproof Studio’s group show
- Joburg Fringe – Johannesburg – Open call selection group show
- Johannesburg Art Gallery – Artistproof studio’s Open Call group show
- Stateoftheart online gallery – Open call selection
2009 The South African, Artlife, Edition: Dec 2009 -Jan 2010
2012 Catalogue: ‘Coming of Age’, 21 years of Artist proof Studio
2013 Listed on the JoburgFringe online catalogue
2015 LL Editions Collaborations Catalogue, Vol 1
2017 Bag Factory SALON exhibition Catalogue
2018 The Art Of Lithography: A collaborative expression of LL Editions catalogue at WAM (The Witwatersrand Art Museum) (September 2018 – January 2019)
2019 Endless Edition ‘Optimism’ biennial, Catalog project in New York
Professional Art work & Practice Development
Crown Point Press Summer Etching workshop, in San Francisco, USA
· Londonprint Studio – London, UK – Silkscreen and photopolymer
· College of Digital Photography – Johannesburg – Introduction DSLR video
· LL Editions – Johannesburg – Lithography Edition
· Artistproof Studio’s – Johannesburg – Etching Edition
· Warren Editions – Cape Town – Aquatint Etching workshop
· The Artists Press – Mpumalanga, White River – Monotypes
· Market Photo workshop – Johannesburg – Intro to photography (Completed 7 out of the 8 weeks, did not sit for the exam in the last week)
· The Artists Press – Mpumalanga, White River – Monotypes
· Artist Proof Studio’s – Johannesburg – Etching Edition
Formal Education and Institutional Short Courses
· Central St Martins College of Art & Design – Clerkenwell, London Mixed Media, Expressive painting
· Princes Drawing School – Shoreditch, London – Still life drawing
· Heatherleys School of Art – Chelsea, London – Still life drawing
· San Francisco Academy of Art University – San Francisco, USA – Spring semester
programme of MFA: Chiariscuro, Italian Renaissance Art History, early Philosophy
· University of California – Berkeley Extention – San Francisco, USA – Post Bacc
programme: Colour Theory, Fundamentals in drawing and painting
· University of Southern Africa – Honours Bcomm
· University of the Witwatersrand – Johannesburg – Bprim Ed – Art major
· Ermelo high school – Mpumalanga, Ermelo – Matriculated – University exemption
Boitumelo Tlhoaele – Curator – Doctoral fellow at the African Open Institute for Music, Research and Innovation ( Stellenbosch University)
Mark Attwood & Tamar Mason – Master Printer and Owners of The Artists Press http://www.artprintsa.com
Jeanne-Maré du Bois – Gallery Manager at – Proshop Artistproof Studio’s at the time – http://www.artistproofstudio.co.za
Sarie Potter – Organiser/ Curator for Joburg Fringe – http://www.JoburgFringe.com
Joe Leshoka Le Gate – Master Printer and Owner of LL Editions – http://www.lleditions.co.za
Zhane Warren – Master Printer and Owner of Warren Editions – http://www.warreneditions.com
Aysha Waja – Curator at the time with Bag Factory Art Studio – http://www.bagfactoryart.org.za – (Currently with Turbine Artfair.)
Sara – Aimee Verity – Master Printer – http://www.editionverso.co.za
Tom Albrecht – Curator, Artist & Director – http://www.gg3.eu