I was born in 1969, in Ermelo, South Africa. I completed a Bachelor’s in Primary Education, majoring in Art, in 1991 through the University of the Witwatersrand and my self-portrait at the time, was kept by the JCE campus Arts Department.
In my twenties and thirties, I was actively involved in projects addressing access for housing in lower Income sectors, I raised the money to build two schools, and worked for The Mineworkers Development Agency, the development wing of The National Union of Mineworkers, addressing rural development economic needs in South Africa.
I created artwork on an ad hoc, private basis, throughout this period.
In 2006 I started focusing on my Art practice, and facilitated Adult Art workshops at my studio in Johannesburg.
I enrolled for an MFA at The San Francisco Academy of Arts University in 2010, completing the courses Chiaruscuro, Renaissance Art History, and early Philosophy, and I switched to the The University of California, Berkeley Extension, Post Bacc Art programme, and completed three courses of the programme, Colour Theory, Fundamentals in Drawing and Painting.
Moving to London in 2011, I enrolled for short Art courses at Central St Martins, The Heatherley School of Fine Arts, and The Princes Drawing School.
Returning to Johannesburg at the end of 2011, I have been exploring and engaging my practice in Painting & Mixed Media, Installation and Printmaking.
Please refer to my CV below for exhibitions, Art practice development &References
- ‘Mono‘ – International Group online exhibition – curated by Aishwarya Kulkarni – Mi-Sul.com
- Exhibited on Foundwork.com – platform curated by Adam Yokell & Team
- Come outside – Online International Group Exhibition – Norfolk, United Kingdom – Curated by Roisin Delaney & Team
- ‘Artists and Climate change’ – Article published and artwork featured – curated by Chantal Bilodeau and Thomas Peterson
- ‘Latitudes online‘ – Curated by Lucy MacGarry, Roberta Coci and Team
- ‘1.5 Degrees‘ – International Group Art Exhibition in Berlin – GG3 – Group Global 3000, Gallery for sustainable Art – curated by Tom Albrecht, & Team GG3
- ‘EnviroArt Gallery’ – International Group online Exhibition – Rubenstein Centre, Dukes University, Durham, North Carolina, USA – Curated by Cameron Oglesby & Team
- ‘Depletion‘ – International Group online show – What’s next for earth? Stanford University, USA – Curated by Michele Guieu.
- Ecoartspace – International Member Artist platform – curated by Curators Patricia Lea Watts and Amy Lipton
- ARTSY Online Auction and live Auction in New York, USA AMREF HEALTH Contemporary African ArtBall – curated by Atim Annette Oton
- Catalog Project – ‘Optimism‘ Endless Editions Biennial – New York, USA. Group show. Curated by Lukaza Branfam – Verimisso.
- Witwatersrand University Museum (WAM) – “Art of Lithography:A collaborative Expression of LL Editions“, Johannesburg, South Africa. Group Show. Curated by Tumi Tlhoale and Tshegofatso Mabaso.
- ‘Nothing stands still‘ – Solo show – Johannesburg Holocaust & Genocide Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa
- BagFactoryArt ‘SALON’ Group show, Johannesburg, South Africa – Open Call curated selection. Curated by Aysha Waja.
- The Fine Art Print Fair – Ll Editions Group show, hosted at Gibbs, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Paddle 8 online auction and Live Auction in New York, USA AMREF HEALTH ARTBALL – African and diaspora group exhibition – Curated by Atim Oton.
- ·ABSA Gallery – Johannesburg, South Africa Artistproofstudio’s Proshop group show. Curated by Sarah Aimee Verity and Team.
- London based Jacksons Open Art Prize, UK Longlist selected from an International Jury.
- Turbine Art Fair – Johannesburg, South Africa LL Editions & Artistproof Studio’s group shows
- FNB Joburg Art Fair – Johannesburg, South Africa Artistproof Studio’s group show. Curated by Jeane-Mare Du Bois.
- Joburg Fringe – Johannesburg, South Africa Open call selection group show. Curated by Sarie Potter, Francis Goodman and Melissa Goba.
- Johannesburg Art Museum – Gallery , Johannesburg, South Africa – Artistproof studio’s Open Call group show. Curated by Kim Berman & Robyn Nesbitt.
- Stateoftheart online gallery, Cape Town, South Africa Open call selection.
2009 The South African, Artlife, Edition: Dec 2009 -Jan 2010
2012 ‘Coming of Age’, 21 years of Artist proof Studio – Catalogue
2013 Listed on the JoburgFringe Catalogue
2015 LL Editions Collaborations Catalogue, Vol 1
2017 Bag Factory SALON exhibition Catalogue
The Art Of Lithography: A collaborative expression of LL Editions catalogue at WAM (The Witwatersrand Art Museum) (September 2018 – January 2019)
Endless Edition ‘Optimism‘ biennial, Catalog project in New York
Artists and Climate change – Article ‘ What is your tipping point for collective action? and Artwork published – edited by Chantal Bilodeau and Thomas Peterson
‘Mono‘ – Mi-Sul.com Catalogue – published by curator Aishwarya Kulkarni
‘Depletion‘ – Blog published by Michele Guieu – MAHB Global, Stanford University, USA
Professional Art work & Practice Development
Crown Point Press – San Francisco, USA Summer Etching workshop
· Londonprint Studio – London, UK Silkscreen and photopolymer
· College of Digital Photography – Johannesburg, South Africa Introduction DSLR video
· LL Editions – Johannesburg, South Africa Lithography Edition
· Artistproof Studio’s – Johannesburg, South Africa Etching Edition
· Warren Editions – Cape Town, South Africa Aquatint Etching workshop
· The Artists Press – Mpumalanga, White River, South Africa Monotypes
· Market Photo workshop – Johannesburg, South Africa Intro to photography (Completed 7 out of the 8 weeks)
· The Artists Press – Mpumalanga, White River, South Africa Monotypes
· Artist Proof Studio’s – Johannesburg, South Africa Etching Edition
Formal Education and Institutional Short Courses
· Central St Martins College of Art & Design – Clerkenwell, London Mixed Media, Expressive painting
· Princes Drawing School – Shoreditch, London – Still life drawing
· Heatherleys School of Art – Chelsea, London – Still life drawing
· San Francisco Academy of Art University – San Francisco, USA – Spring semester programme of MFA:
Chiariscuro, Italian Renaissance Art History, Classical Philosophy
· University of California – Berkeley Extention – San Francisco, USA Fall semester of Post Bacc Certificate:
ColourTheory, Fundamentals in drawing and painting
· University of Southern Africa – Honours Bcomm
Business Management: Marketing
· University of the Witwatersrand – Johannesburg – Bprim Ed – Art major
· Ermelo high school – Mpumalanga, Ermelo – Matriculated – University exemption
Boitumelo Tlhoaele – Curator – Doctoral fellow at the African Open Institute for Music, Research and Innovation ( Stellenbosch University)
Mark Attwood & Tamar Mason – Master Printer and Owners of The Artists Press http://www.artprintsa.com
Jeanne-Maré du Bois – Gallery Manager at – Proshop Artistproof Studio’s at the time – http://www.artistproofstudio.co.za
Sarie Potter – Organiser/ Curator for Joburg Fringe – http://www.JoburgFringe.com
Joe Leshoka Le Gate – Master Printer and Owner of LL Editions – http://www.lleditions.co.za
Zhane Warren – Master Printer and Owner of Warren Editions – http://www.warreneditions.com
Aysha Waja – Curator at the time with Bag Factory Art Studio – http://www.bagfactoryart.org.za – (Currently with Turbine Artfair.)
Sara – Aimee Verity – Master Printer – http://www.editionverso.co.za
Tom Albrecht – Curator, Artist & Director – http://www.gg3.eu
Roberta Coci – Curator – https://latitudes.online