I was born in 1969, in Ermelo, South Africa. I completed a Bachelor’s in Primary Education, majoring in Art, in 1991 through the University of the Witwatersrand and my self-portrait at the time, was kept by the JCE campus Arts Department. It is now back in my private collection.
In my twenties and thirties, I was actively involved in projects addressing access for housing in lower Income sectors, I raised the money to build two schools, and worked for The Mineworkers Development Agency, the development wing of The National Union of Mineworkers, addressing rural development economic needs in South Africa.
I created artwork on an ad hoc, private basis, throughout this period.
In 2006 I started focusing on my Art practice, and facilitated Adult Art workshops at my studio in Johannesburg.
I enrolled for an MFA at The San Francisco Academy of Arts University in 2010, completing the courses Chiaruscuro, Renaissance Art History, and early Philosophy, and I switched to the The University of California, Berkeley Extention, Post Bacc Art programme, and completed three courses of the programme, Colour Theory, Fundamentals in Drawing and Painting.
Moving to London in 2011, I enrolled for short Art courses at Central St Martins, The Heatherley School of Fine Arts, and The Princes Drawing School.
Returning to Johannesburg at the end of 2011, I have been engaging my practice in the material exploration of Painting & Mixed Media, Installation and Printmaking.
Please refer to my CV below for exhibitions, Art practice development & References
- The Millennium Alliance for humanity – Stanford University initiative – ‘The hand of humans‘ article and artwork published online and featured in monthly newsletter.
- Carbon – borders – voices – Uk based interdisciplinary online exhibition – Curated by Jill Howitt, Kevin Parker, Rob Marchant, & Matt Fratson
- Whats next for earth? – Art project in collaboration with the ‘Millennium Alliance for humanity and the biosphere’, Stanford University in the USA. ‘Thinking in systems’ online exhibition. Curated by Michele Guieu.
- Dwell Time – Arts publication reflecting on mental wellbeing, UK. Curated by Alice Bradshaw,Vanessa Haley, Lenny Sozrama.
- Ecoartproject – New York based platform catalysing environmental awareness and climate change – curated by Pino Fortunato & Team
- Mono – International Group online exhibition – curated by Aishwarya Kulkarni – Mi-Sul.com
- Foundwork.com – online exhibition platform, Chicargo, USA. Curated by Adam Yokell & Team
- Come outside – Online International Group Exhibition – Norfolk, United Kingdom – Curated by Roisin Delaney & Team
- Artists and Climate change – Article published and artwork featured. Curated by Chantal Bilodeau and Thomas Peterson
- Latitudes online – Curated by Lucy MacGarry, Roberta Coci and Team
- 1.5 Degrees – International Group Art Exhibition in Berlin – GG3 – Group Global 3000, Gallery for sustainable Art – curated by Tom Albrecht, & Team GG3
- EnviroArt Gallery – International Group online Exhibition – Rubenstein Centre, Dukes University, Durham, North Carolina, USA – Curated by Cameron Oglesby & Team
- Depletion – International Group online show – What’s next for earth? Stanford University, USA – Curated by Michele Guieu.
- Ecoartspace – International Member Artist platform – Curated by Patricia Lea Watts and Amy Lipton.
- ARTSY Online Auction and live Auction in New York, USA AMREF HEALTH Contemporary African ArtBall – curated by Atim Annette Oton.
- ‘Optimism‘ Endless Editions Biennial – New York, USA. Catalog Project Group show. Curated by Lukaza Branfam – Verimisso.
- Witwatersrand University Museum (WAM) – “Art of Lithography:A collaborative Expression of LL Editions“, Johannesburg, South Africa. Group Show. Curated by Tumi Tlhoale and Tshegofatso Mabaso.
- ‘Nothing stands still‘ – Solo show – Johannesburg Holocaust & Genocide Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- BagFactoryArt ‘SALON’ Group show, Johannesburg, South Africa. Open Call curated selection. Curated by Aysha Waja.
- The Fine Art Print Fair – Ll Editions Group show, hosted at Gibbs, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Paddle 8 online auction and Live Auction in New York, USA AMREF HEALTH ARTBALL – African and diaspora group exhibition – Curated by Atim Oton.
- ·ABSA Gallery – Johannesburg, South Africa.Artistproofstudio’s Proshop group show. Curated by Sarah Aimee Verity and Team.
- London based Jacksons Open Art Prize, UK. Longlist selected from an International Jury.
- Turbine Art Fair – Johannesburg, South Africa. LL Editions & Artistproof Studio’s group shows.
- FNB Joburg Art Fair – Johannesburg, South Africa. Artistproof Studio’s group show. Curated by Jeane-Mare Du Bois.
- Joburg Fringe – Johannesburg, South Africa.Open call selection group show. Curated by Sarie Potter, Francis Goodman and Melissa Goba.
- Johannesburg Art Museum – Gallery , Johannesburg, South Africa. Artistproof studio’s Open Call group show. Curated by Kim Berman & Robyn Nesbitt.
- Stateoftheart online gallery, Cape Town, South Africa.Open call selection. Curated by Jennifer Reynolds and Committee.
2009 The South African, Artlife, Edition: Dec 2009 -Jan 2010
2012 ‘Coming of Age’, 21 years of Artist proof Studio – Catalogue
2013 Listed on the JoburgFringe Catalogue
2015 LL Editions Collaborations Catalogue, Vol 1
2017 Bag Factory SALON exhibition Catalogue
The Art Of Lithography: A collaborative expression of LL Editions catalogue at WAM (The Witwatersrand Art Museum) (September 2018 – January 2019)
Endless Edition ‘Optimism‘ biennial, Catalog project in New York
Artists and Climate change – Article ‘ What is your tipping point for collective action? and Artwork published – edited by Chantal Bilodeau and Thomas Peterson
Mono – Mi-Sul.com Catalogue – published by curator Aishwarya Kulkarni
Depletion – Blog published by Michele Guieu – MAHB Global, Stanford University, USA
Ecoartproject newsletter and social media feature ‘Artist of the week‘. Curated by Pino Fortunato & Team. Dec 2021 – January 2022
The Millennium Alliance for humanity – Stanford University initiative – ‘The hand of humans‘ article and artwork published online and featured in monthly newsletter. 25 April 2022.
Professional Art work & Practice Development
Crown Point Press – San Francisco, USA. Summer Etching workshop
Londonprint Studio – London, UK. Silkscreen and photopolymer
College of Digital Photography – Johannesburg, South Africa Introduction DSLR video
LL Editions – Johannesburg, South Africa. Lithography Edition
Artistproof Studio’s – Johannesburg, South Africa. Etching Edition
Warren Editions – Cape Town, South Africa. Aquatint Etching workshop
The Artists Press – Mpumalanga, White River, South Africa. Monotypes
Market Photo workshop – Johannesburg, South Africa.Intro to photography (Completed 7 out of the 8 weeks)
The Artists Press – Mpumalanga, White River, South Africa. Monotypes
Artist Proof Studio’s – Johannesburg, South Africa. Etching Edition
Formal Education and Institutional Short Courses
Central St Martins College of Art & Design – Clerkenwell, London Mixed Media, Expressive painting
Princes Drawing School – Shoreditch, London – Still life drawing
Heatherleys School of Art – Chelsea, London – Still life drawing
San Francisco Academy of Art University – San Francisco, USA – Spring semester programme of MFA:
Chiariscuro, Italian Renaissance Art History, Classical Philosophy
University of California – Berkeley Extention – San Francisco, USA Fall semester of Post Bacc Certificate:
ColourTheory, Fundamentals in drawing and painting
University of Southern Africa – Honours Bcomm
Business Management: Marketing
University of the Witwatersrand – Johannesburg – Bprim Ed – Art major
Ermelo high school – Mpumalanga, Ermelo – Matriculated – University exemption
Michele Guieu – Curator – Whats next for earth, Stanford University, USA http://www.whatsnextforearth.com
Boitumelo Tlhoaele – Curator – Doctoral fellow at the African Open Institute for Music, Research and Innovation ( Stellenbosch University)
Mark Attwood & Tamar Mason – Master Printer and Owners of The Artists Press. http://www.artprintsa.com
Sarie Potter – Organiser/ Curator for Joburg Fringe. http://www.JoburgFringe.com
Joe Leshoka Le Gate – Master Printer and Owner of LL Editions http://www.lleditions.co.za
Zhane Warren – Master Printer and Owner of Warren Editions http://www.warreneditions.com
Aysha Waja – Curator at the time with Bag Factory Art Studio http://www.bagfactoryart.org.za – (Currently with Turbine Artfair www.turbineartfair.co.za)
Sara – Aimee Verity – Master Printer – http://www.editionverso.co.za
Tom Albrecht – Curator, Artist & Director – http://www.gg3.eu
Roberta Coci – Curator – https://latitudes.online